First of All lets Know the names of These 7 Chakras
- Root chakra — base of the spine — red
- Sacral chakra — just below the navel — orange
- Solar Plexus chakra — stomach area — yellow
- Heart chakra — center of the chest — green
- Throat chakra — base of the throat — blue
- Third Eye chakra — forehead, just above area between the eyes — indigo
- Crown chakra — top of the head — violet
Sometimes, a Sanskrit name is used instead of plain English because the study of the chakra system as we know it in our modern Western culture originates mostly from yogic traditions from India. You’ll sometimes find them referenced as:
Let us now Know the Meaning of those 7 chakra.
The 1st Chakra – Root Chakra – Muladhara
The official name of this chakra, muladhara, comes from the words Mula, which means root and Dhara, which means support.
So, this chakra’s role is to connect all of your energy with the Earth, which is called grounding.
When you think of your Root Chakra, think of your day to day survival here on earth. Thi
s energy center’s role is to give you everything you need to survive. For us in this modern age, that typically translates to financial and emotional security.
Location: This chakra is located at the very base of your spine, near your tailbone. It goes up to just below your belly button.
What balanced feels like: When your 1st chakra is balanced, you will feel a sense of accomplishment and peace when you think about things like money, safety and shelter.
You will feel connected to your human experience.
When this chakra is overactive: Our root chakra gets a lot of use, so having an overactive one is very common.
The 2nd chakra – Sacral Chakra – Svadhishana
The 2nd chakra is the sacral chakra or svadhishana which translates to “the place of the self.” This chakra is all about your identity as a human and what you do with it.
This chakra brings you creative energy to enjoy life.
Your sacral chakra is the home of the creative life force energy that helps you enjoy your life here on Earth.
It’s the energy that motivates you to enjoy the fruits of your labor including indulging in pleasurable activities like sex.
Location: The sacral chakra is located right below the belly button and extends to its center.
What balanced feels like: When your 2nd chakra is balanced, you will relish in the pleasurable things life has to offer, without overdoing them.
Sex, good food and creative activities will be inspiring and enjoyable, and you will get a sense of wellness and abundance from them.
The 3rd chakra – Solar Plexus – Manipura
The 3rd chakra is the Solar Plexus or Manipura which translates to “lustrous gem.” This chakra is where your self-confidence, identity and personal power are born.
Have you ever been in a situation that you just knew wasn’t right for you?
Perhaps you’ve been in a situation that you knew was going to work out. Where did you feel those cues in your body. Most people say they feel those types of cues in their “gut.”
In reality, this is the seat of your personal power, your solar plexus, and you can physically feel that confidence and wisdom in its location.
Location: The solar plexus starts in the center of the belly button and extends up to the breastbone or where your two sets of ribs connect in the center of your chest.
What balanced feels like: When your 3rd chakra is balanced, you will feel a sense of wisdom, decisiveness and personal power.
Many call this chakra the warrior chakra, as the feeling you get from it is comparable to a wise warrior going into battle.
He has the confidence to win and the wisdom to know the personal truth he is fighting for.
The 4th chakra – Heart – Anahata
The 4th chakra is the Heart or Anahata chakra, which translates to “unhurt.” This chakra is where your love, compassion and kindness are empowered.
It’s not hard to understand this chakra.
We all associate our hearts with love, and that’s exactly what the 4th chakra is all about. This includes love for others and love for yourself, which is why this chakra is also associated with health and healing
Heart Chakra Affirmations
- I am open to love.
- All love resides within my heart.
- I deeply and completely love and accept myself.
- I nurture my inner child. I am wanted and loved.
- I live in balance, in a state of gracefulness and gratitude.
- I love the beauty of nature and the animal world. I forgive myself.
- I am open to love and kindness.
- I am grateful for all the challenges that helped me to transform and open up to love.
- I am connected with other human beings.
- I feel a sense of unity with nature and animals.
- I accept things as they are.
- I am peaceful.
Location: The heart chakra’s center is located right over your heart and it radiates down to your breastbone and up to your throat.
What balanced feels like: When your 4th chakra is balanced, you are able to equally feel love for yourself and others. Even when tough things happen, you can still see the compassion and kindness in others.
The 5th Chakra – Throat – Vishuddha
The 5th chakra is the Throat chakra or Vishuddha which translates to “very pure.”
This chakra gives a voice to your personal truths.
Basic Throat Chakra Info:
- Visuddha Chakra – meaning “purification”
- Throat Chakra: Also called 5th or Blue Chakra
- Chakra color: Blue
- Location: Throat, neck, shoulders
- Element: Sound
- Function: Communication, creativity
- Seed Sound: Ham
- Aspects it Controls: The Throat Chakra is the center of sound, vibration, and self-expression. It is the realm of consciousness that controls, creates, transmits, and receives communication, both within ourselves and between each other. Communication is an act of connection. Communication creates the future.
- Reasons you’d want to clear the Throat Chakra:
- sore throat
- communication problems
- trouble connecting with others
- public speaking nervousness
- stiff neck
- thyroid problems
- hearing problems
Location: The throat chakra’s center is right in between your collar bone, and it radiates down to the center of your heart and up to the center of your eyes.
What balanced feels like: When your throat chakra is balanced, you will be able to clearly speak with love, kindness and truth.
You will know exactly which words are appropriate for each situation. Speaking with a balanced throat chakra will enlighten and inspire those around you.
The 6th Chakra – The Third Eye – Ajna
The 6th chakra is the Third Eye Chakra Ajna which translates to “beyond wisdom.” This chakra opens up your mind to information beyond the material world and the 5 senses.
Extra sensory perception, intuition or psychic energy, all comes from the third eye.
There is actually a small pine cone shaped gland in your brain that takes in light. This gland, the pineal gland, is responsible for helping you feel awake in the daytime and sleepy at night.
Long before brain imaging, ancient cultures knew this Third Eye existed, and they also realized that it receives information from sources outside of the five senses.
Basic Third Eye Chakra Info:
- Ajna Chakra – meaning “to know, to perceive, to command”
- Third Eye Chakra: Also called 6th, Brow or Indigo Chakra
- Chakra color: Indigo
- Location: Center of the head at eye level or slightly above (between the brows)
- Element: Light
- Function: Seeing, intuiting
- Seed Sound: Om
- Aspects it Controls: The sixth chakra, Ajna, is in the area of the third eye, which is found in the space between the eyebrows. It encompasses the pituitary gland, eyes, head, and lower part of the brain. An invisible yet powerful third eye, this is your center of intuition. A spiritual chakra, which means “beyond wisdom,” Ajna leads you to an inner knowledge that will guide you if you let it. An open sixth chakra can enable clairvoyance, telepathy, lucid dreaming, expanded imagination, and visualization. Trust your intuition
- Reasons you’d want to clear the Third Eye Chakra:
- think more clearly
- have “vision”
- develop your imagination
- grasp the big picture
- expand your consciousness and influence to non-ordinary planes
- develop greater spiritual awareness and prepare for the next level of spiritual evolution
- better meditation experience
- sharpen your intuition
- develop psychic powers
- tap into your inner wisdom
Location: The third eye’s center is in between your eyebrows. It radiates down to your mouth and up to the top of your head.
What balanced feels like: A balanced third eye is a beautiful thing, and it’s really what you are trying to achieve when you start on a path to spiritual development.
When your Third eye chakra is balanced, you will equally feel in tune with both the physical world and the material world. You will receive psychic information as frequently as you receive information from your 5 physical senses, but it will not overwhelm you.
The 7th Chakra – Crown – Sahaswara
The 7th chakra is the Crown or Sahaswara, which translates to “thousand petaled.” This chakra is pure consciousness energy.
The Crown chakra is one of those energies that’s hard to explain.
You can think of it like magnetism.
When you hold a piece of metal to a magnet, you can feel the energy and tension, but you can’t see it. Consciousness energy is everywhere and in everything. It connects us to the entire universe.
Our own personal consciousness is located in the 7th chakra, but it’s really more like the seed of a universal energy than something personal or individual.
Basic Crown Chakra Info:
- Sahasrara Chakra – meaning “thousandfold”
- Crown Chakra: Also called 7th Violet Chakra
- Chakra color: Violet
- Location: Top of head
- Element: Thought
- Function: Understanding
- Seed Sound: N/A
- Aspects it Controls: The seventh chakra, Sahasrara, sits at the top of the “chakra ladder” which starts from the root chakra that grounds us on the Earth and progresses upward to the Sahasrara which connects us with the universe and the Divine source of creation. The gift of this chakra is experiencing unity and the selfless realization that everything is connected at a fundamental level. The energy of this chakra allows us to experience mystical oneness with everyone and everything in nature. There is no intellectual knowing at the level of seventh chakra, but there is serenity, joy, and deep peace about life.
- Reasons you’d want to clear the Crown Chakra:
- muscular disease
- chronic exhaustion that has no medical explanation
- sensitivity to light, certain sounds or environment (commonly found in autism)
- living in a state of constant worry
- general lack of purpose
- an inability to connect with your higher wisdom
- lack of direction
Color: Violet – White
Location: The crown chakra’s center is at the top of your head. It radiates down to between your eyes and then extends infinitely upward and outward, connecting you to the energy of the rest of the universe.
What balanced feels like: Achieving a balanced crown chakra is the goal of every spiritual warrior, and it’s not easy to do. You can think of it like the Buddhist concept of achieving nirvana.
Once you achieve it, you’re not really human anymore – you’ve conquered suffering and death.
Of course, it is the journey of attempting to achieve this balance that brings us happiness, good health and wisdom. Trying to balance your 7th chakra will align and balance your other chakras.